This significant other addresses a subject matter of continuous modern relevance, either cultural and literary.
- Offers either a wide-ranging exploration of the classical novel of antiquity and a wealth of shut literary analysis
- Brings jointly the main up to date foreign scholarship at the historic novel, together with clean new educational voices
- Includes concentrated chapters on person classical authors, equivalent to Petronius, Xenophon and Apuleius, in addition to a wide-ranging thematic analysis
- Addresses confusing questions bearing on authorial expression and readership of the traditional novel form
- Provides an finished advent to a style with a emerging profile
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Ancient Novel (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar Ancient Classical books
Talking of Siva is a range of vacanas or free-verse sayings from the Virasaiva non secular circulation, devoted to Siva because the excellent god. Written via 4 significant saints, the best exponents of this poetic shape, among the 10th and 12th centuries, they're passionate lyrical expressions of the hunt for an unpredictable and spontaneous non secular imaginative and prescient of 'now'.
The learn of feelings and emotional screens has accomplished a deserved prominence in fresh classical scholarship. the feelings of the classical international will be plumbed to supply a worthy heuristic software. feelings may help us comprehend key problems with historical ethics, ideological assumptions, and normative behaviors, yet, extra often than no longer, classical students have grew to become their cognizance to "social feelings" requiring useful judgements and moral judgments in private and non-private gatherings.
This highbrow background examines the reception of Carl von Clausewitz's army theories in Britain and the USA. within the first entire research of the literature, Christopher Bassford argues that the effect of Clausewitzian conception has been underestimated and he follows the path of Clausewitzian impact from pre-1873 Britain to 1945.
This booklet comprises new severe variations of 2 early and critical examples of the most well-liked overdue Roman old genres. the 2 texts, Chronicle of Hydatius and Consularia Constantinopolitana, supply an fundamental modern account of the fourth century A. D. those variations, in accordance with the 1st ever exam of all surviving manuscripts, are supplied with targeted introductions and appendices, and contain the 1st English translation of Hydatius.
Additional resources for A Companion to the Ancient Novel (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)